Some of us sense an awakening inside when we climb into a tree. We are comfortable and feel at home.
Climbing tall trees is a far different experience than many of the other outdoor activities you may enjoy & our Open-Advanced Climbs allow participants a more engaging climbing experience.
The Open-Advanced climb setting is perfect for aspiring climbers who want more climb time, looking to pursue tree climbing further but not old enough or not ready to invest in the training and equipment necessary to climb on your own, and experienced climbers looking for climb-time to work on and improve your skills,
Different advanced skills and topics are introduced at each climb, such as: limb-walking, advanced operation of the climbing knot, professional equipment, and multi-pitch climbing which allows you to climb to the highest accessible point of the tree.
Enjoy climbing trees with our tree climbing adventure guides...who may join you in the tree & ready to work with you one-on-one!
Lower Capacity | Longer Climb Time | More Freedom for Movement
2024 Open-Advanced Climb Schedule
(Tentative schedule. Schedule will be finalized & registration open in January)
JUL 14 - (Sun) 2:00pm - Woodfield Park
- "Go out on a limb!" - The Woodfield Oak is over 200-years-old and one of my favorite trees as it gives a taste of what it's like to connect with ancient & majestic trees. It is a climber favorite for its broad spreading branches and a perfect opportunity to try limb-walking like the pros. See how far you can walk out on a branch!
AUG 3 - (Sat) 12:30pm - Menomonee Park*
- "Explore the Forest Canopy" - Experience the feeling of climbing in an oak-hickory forest setting. Like canopy researchers, you will have the opportunity to try a multi-pitch climb, which allows you to get into the uppermost branches of this 125-yr-old white oak, Zendo.
SEP 29 - (Sun) 11:00am - Mukwonago Park*
- "Head in the clouds"...or at least in the uppermost leaves. This is your 2nd chance to try a multi-pitch climb, which allows you to climb into the top of the tree. Pearl, a white oak close to 200-years-old, is my other favorite climbing tree given its beautiful form and numerous branches. You are sure to find a cozy spot to relax, read a book, or enjoy hammocking high above.
OCT 26 - (Sat) 1:00pm - Naga-Waukee Park* (Fall Colors)
- "Let's play!" - Enjoy climbing a pair of white oaks. Each tree offers a different experience. Jerry has a few branches to challenge your ascent, but a lot of fun once you get past them. Tom sports the highest rope of the two and a challenging route along the trunk. Climbers will also be able to try the bean-bag toss - land one in the bucket to win a Treetop ball cap!
FOR ALL OPEN-ADVANCED CLIMBS - Our facilitators are able to join climbers in the tree & work with you on advanced skills you'd like to try. We identify a few of these experiences each month, but most trees provide opportunity to work on advanced skills like alternative ascent methods, limb-walking, descending upside-down, and learning how to have full control of your own descent.
Requirements for participation:
1) Registrants should have climbed with us previously
2) Age 9 years old to adult
3) Experienced climbers should contact us prior to registering for details. In many instances you can use some of your own gear.
Open-Advanced Climbs are intended for climbers who have already picked up the basic climbing technique and able to perform & follow all safety procedures.
Locations subject to change. All climb locations are in Waukesha County.
Visit online store for current availability of spots in upcoming climbs.
Open-Advanced Climbs are a great way to...
- Get more tree-time
- Learn about trees
- Develop climbing skills
- Share a branch with a friend
- Spend time with adventurous people
- Try advanced climbing systems
- Learn more about climbing gear
- Spend tree-time the way you want
- Journal, sketch, or read in the treetop
- Climb along-side a tree climbing adventure guide
- Access parts of the tree not offered in our Open & Rec Climbs
EQUIPMENT AND CLOTHING:
Treetop Explorer, LLC provides all of the equipment and gear necessary to enjoy recreational tree climbing. All equipment is inspected prior to each event, and double checked with each climber.
Participants will want to wear closed-toe, sturdy-soled shoes. Long pants help protect legs from scrapes against the bark and chafing from the harness. Gloves and safety glasses are available for climbers, but participants can bring their own.
- Minimum age is 9 yrs old. No upper age limit.
- Individuals unable to follow safety procedures or suspected to be under the influence of alcohol or drugs are not permitted to climb.
Cost per climber is $56.00 plus tax. Class size is limited to provide climbers the opportunity for multiple climbs.
NOTE: Additional $6 vehicle entry fee is charged by Waukesha County Parks - NOT INCLUDED in registration.